Thread: New Problem with Brakes after being in Garage

Skyline Enthusiast Registered User GordonR34's Avatar

New Problem with Brakes after being in Garage

Hi guys,

I recently had my R34 GTT in for it's first service since coming over from Japan. Only thing it needed were new pads for the front. But since I got it back the brakes screech terribly at a certain point of braking. I feel it's coming from the drivers side front. Obviously I called them right away and they said that R34 front callipers are renowned for the brake piston sticking and that will be why. Doe's this sound right? I don't know much about this assembly but it sounds expensive to me.

Any advice on the subject would be gratefully accepted!

Skyline Enthusiast Registered User
    Images
    If sticking piston surely they would have noticed when they push them in in order to fit new pads

Are the calipers hot after a normal drive i.e. without hammering the brakes. If so, then they probably are sticking. But they should have noticed them when doing the brakes. What pads have you had fitted? Some are known for their screechy noise especially with grooved or drilled discs. Usually just needs a brake shim fitted to help quieten them down.

Thanks Cerro. I'll find out what pads they've fitted. It's not on the receipt but the garage came in highly recommended and I always used to use it for my integra DC2 but come to think of it when I had those brakes changed they screeched too..... hmmmm.

Skyline Enthusiast Registered User DK17's Avatar
    Is there any rust on the discs? I guess if you've changed the pads but not the discs then the discs/pads need time to take shape to one another. If the pistons were sticking then that means the brakes would be applied most of the time, which of course isn't good but yes, they should've checked/noticed this.

Back on the skyline wagon again Area Rep Sukairain's Avatar
    Images
    My EBC redsuff pads use to do this around 15 mph so glad to get rid of them lol
    スカイラインへの情熱

passion for skylines

Skyline Enthusiast Registered User Tommy Kaira RL's Avatar
    If your brakes are squeaking after you take the brake off then it would be the pistons. If they are squeaky when the brake is applied then they have probably chucked the shims away. If you dont have shims there is a glue that you put on the back of the pad that stops vibrations.
    Or your pads weren't bed in properly.

With the Skyline I would always recommend buying the parts yourself and then if need be getting someone else to fit them, or at least picking out what bits you want them to fit on etc. Just better safe than sorry.

As for the noise, it could be just the discs bedding in with the discs. Or just the type of pads they are need to be heated up enough.

These seemed to have righted themselves since I posted this. I think the type of pads they supplied me seem to take a bit more bedding in than usual. I had the same problem with my DC2 from the same garage. Needless to say in future I will be picking my own pads and having them done elsewhere. Having spoken to a few people I was relieved to know that there was no problem with the piston. I was wrongly informed.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and help guys!

As long as its all sorted and your much wiser about everything going forward then.

Thread Information