Thread: Leaking gearbox R33 GTST (pictures)

Skyline Enthusiast Registered User

Leaking gearbox R33 GTST (pictures)

While doing some unrelated work I noticed that there seems to be a leak from the gearbox. I presume that it might be hard just by visual inspection know what it is, but I was hoping to know if anyone else had similar problems? (I have done some research but haven't found anything) I can't say that there is any problems shifting gears, possibly it's been getting a little bit harder.

The pictures can be found on https://imgur.com/a/gKY2bLT

An additional question, there seem to either coming from the seal between the gearbox and engine or from the second rubber seal on the second picture, which brings me to my second question, what is that and what purpose does it serve? (note: I'm still learning xD)

Thanks!

Skyline Enthusiast Registered User GTR-John's Avatar
    Images
    Not an expert but I would suggest the leak could be the crankshaft end seal on the engine or the shaft seal on the gearbox. Either of these will need gearbox removal to identify\repair. If this is the case your clutch could be impregnated with oil. If by the second rubber seal you mean the one in the middle of the picture, it is the clutch fork dust cover. Hope this helps.

Skyline Enthusiast Registered User Richf's Avatar
    I'd check the rocker cover gaskets , thats almost certainly engine oil not gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by Richf View Post
    I'd check the rocker cover gaskets , thats almost certainly engine oil not gearbox
    I checked around the gaskets and couldn't find residue around the gasket, I did however find some residue around the breather on the exhaust rocker cover and the tube looked a bit roughed up, but it didn't look like it would leak that much and I couldn't find any trail leading down towards the gearbox.

Skyline Enthusiast Registered User Richf's Avatar
    Its very common for the rear of the rocker cover gaskets to leak , can be difficult to get them sealed . If the rear crank seal had gone I suspect you would be having shifting issues by now as John said your clutch plate would be contaminated with oil

Its also common as the weather gets colder for these cars to be a little harder to shift , until the oil warms up a little

I'd try and clean it all up and then check again in a few weeks , might help you pinpoint it . How long have you had the car ?

Quote Originally Posted by Richf View Post
    Its very common for the rear of the rocker cover gaskets to leak , can be difficult to get them sealed . If the rear crank seal had gone I suspect you would be having shifting issues by now as John said your clutch plate would be contaminated with oil

Its also common as the weather gets colder for these cars to be a little harder to shift , until the oil warms up a little

I'd try and clean it all up and then check again in a few weeks , might help you pinpoint it . How long have you had the car ?
    Yepp that's my plan, I'll clean the complete rocker cover and the gearbox and see what happens. I haven't noticed anything regarding the shifting other than lately there is more a "thunk" sound sometimes when I release the clutch (2-3, 3-4, 4-5), maybe the clutch is slipping slightly before getting traction and putting the power to the drive train? (Just speculating)

I've had the car 6 months. The engine does have some history but was rebuilt at 110k km as a piston broke (before I had the car) and now it's about to turn over to 130k km.

Thread Information